Re: Re: Need help with first, multi-p. CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by T. J. Ricer on January 05, 2000 at 12:26:56:

In Reply to: Re: Need help with first, multi-p. CC posted by Pete Krill on January 05, 2000 at 06:46:58:

Don't be too scared of a big horn. . . I've used my pro 2000 exclusivly for three years (took up Eb tuba this year) The Miraphone 1290 is a nice horn, I think the design is great and the sound is nice, but you are right, in my experience the valves need some work. . . not the tightest in the world and they even feel a little akward. . . I think Mirafone is on the right track as far as an American style horn, but they're not there yet. . . I played a Mirafone BBb (186 I think) in high school, these are nice horns. . . Mirafone really does solid quality work. The Cervanys are solid horns, I tend to prefer the larger one, but that's just me, I've know people to have success on both. . . If you can find a REALLY old Cervany, the ones I have played sound great (but you do some wrestling for pitch). . . I have limited experience with Mienls, but from what I've seen they get the job done. .. I suppose I've been no help up to this point since I really haven't met a lot of tubas I didn't like. . . I'll stick with the standard answer of: Go with what makes you happy, don't rush into anything, play as many horns as you can and decide for yourself, looks like you have a decent start into looking and are being reasonable as far as prices best of luck. . .

sorry to ramble without coming to much of a point,
--T. J.

Follow Ups: