Re: Mir. 1290 / R. Meinl 4/4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan on January 10, 2000 at 13:42:50:

In Reply to: Mir. 1290 / R. Meinl 4/4 posted by M on January 09, 2000 at 20:30:48:

I think that, although there was a response a while back about the 1290 not being free blowing, it was directed toward Mirafones in general. Most Mirafones have a little more resistance than many other brands. This is not always a bad thing, it you want to play light and fast, for example. My 1290 has a lot less resistance than any 186, 188, or even Kaiser 190 I have ever played or tried. The 1290 is a very different animal from ANY other Mirafone made. It is very 'American' in its playing characterists and even sound, while retaining little in the way of characteristic Mirafone (except maybe for having a little color in the sound than some DDDark American style horns of late). IMHO, the 1290 and the RM are apples and oranges. Do you want a big piston horn, or a German rotary horn? The Rudy is a good horn, as well. One of my old teachers has used their 3/4 for decades in a major symphony and always sounded great. Play both, and pick the one you like.

Follow Ups: