Re: Re: Why not start new players on CC or F ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on January 12, 2000 at 21:01:23:

In Reply to: Re: Why not start new players on CC or F ? posted by steve dedman on January 12, 2000 at 09:11:46:

Hello.

When I was in middle school (a fairly new one, it had been open 5 years) we had Yamaha tubas, 3 valves. Great horns. They looked literally brand new. But they stayed on a Wenger tuba stand all the time. I always wondered why my band director never let me hold it while playing (until 8th grade--after I begged).

I still go there from time to time to teach the 6th grade tubas. The tubas still look new (okay, except for the big dent I put in it BY ACCIDENT) :-) They key is that with the stands, no one was ever able to drop them, and boy would he get mad if anyone touched them or was horsing around near them.

I think that having old beat up horns from high schools in a middle school is a mistake. A kid sees it, thinks, "heck, that's not for me" and plays trumpet or oboe. And the stand keeps a smaller player from having to hold a full size tuba.

Likewise, I dont like using small tubas for small guys, especially with the *he's got small lungs* argument. Use a big tuba and make those lungs work and they'll get stronger.

Doug

(Wow, I've never typed this much)

Follow Ups: