Re: Re: Valve Springs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jlb on January 14, 2000 at 10:19:40:

In Reply to: Re: Valve Springs posted by Keith C. on January 13, 2000 at 17:32:39:

I doubt all manufacturers make their own springs. More likely they buy them from the little old spring maker in the Schwarzwald (or elsewhere).

You certainly can replace the springs your self. Just take the old ones out and drop in the new ones. About as easy a DIY as I know of.

Then the question arises: "Which springs to use?"

For most recent horns, you could probably buy vendor replacements, but it's not necessary. Another way would to be to go see your local repairperson. They will surely have an odd collection of springs around to choose from.

My last foray into the spring world was for an elderly sousaphone with a mixed lot of springs. I bought the polygonal (faceted, not round) tuba spring from Ferree's and fitted new springs to the souzy. If memory serves, you get one long spring. Then you remove the bottom caps from your valves and remove the old springs. With the valve held completely depressed, you stuff as much of the spring into the valve bottom as will fit. Then back off two turns of the spring and cut it there. Ferree's also recommends deburring and grinding the ends of the spring to a bevel so it won't catch on anything.
Repeat as needed.

My souzy worked a lot better after. YMMV

jlb

Follow Ups: