Re: Miraphone 188 vs. B&S PT-4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on January 18, 2000 at 19:32:54:

In Reply to: Miraphone 188 vs. B&S PT-4 posted by Russell on January 17, 2000 at 14:40:54:

I agree with previous posts suggesting that you should go with what you like, however, I do have a few observations.
It is my opinion that Miraphones and Perantucci tubas are designed with different approaches to playing and sound production in mind. I think that what you gain in ease of production from a Miraphone is offset by less flexibility in the sound you produce. If you really like what is coming out of the bell then this really isn't much of a compromise. Perhaps this is your experience. I think that relative to a Miraphone a Perantucci requires you to give it a little bit more 'love'. You have to feed it. In return you can be rewarded with more depth to the sound. Perhaps this is what your freinds are talking about? These are, of course, gross generalizations. My opinions may also be somewhat biased since I play almost exclusively on a PT-6 and PT-10. I have played a small bore tiny tiny tiny Miraphone F tuba that I really came to enjoy for its own distinctive soloistic sound but I would still apply my origininal generalization to it.
Conclusion: If you really like the Miraphone 188 then it is a no brainer. If you are seeking another players opinion, I would most likely choose the PT-4 for myself. Reasons: Once learned I feel like I would have a great deal more flexibility with how I choose to express myself.
Just my extremely humble opinion.. subject to change at a moments notice. For the record I have played both at different times and like both of them for their own specific characteristics.
cheers!
joseph

Follow Ups: