Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: +Philip Jones+

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 23, 2000 at 10:34:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: +Philip Jones+ posted by regarding: Decca on January 23, 2000 at 01:44:43:

I couldn't agree more with you Barry, recording today is all about bean counters and bottom lines. And while I don't begrudge the recording industry their shot at the American Dream (hey, I need to make a living too!) I can't help but wonder if there should be a different standard involved when we're dealing with works of ART. The way our society is inundated with faceless music everywhere from the radio to the elevator, it is easy to forget that there are artists behind that music who are creating live art. I can only imagine what the public reaction would be if a famous museum stopped exhibiting the Mona Lisa because they couldn't turn a profit doing so. So many recordings that have been silenced due to the "lack of profitability" argument are real treasures and there should be some forum for access to those works of art. We owe it to future generations of our society to provide a sense of the history of our art, as well as access to its most revered treasures. Sorry for the rant...

Follow Ups: