Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone go to or know about ucf??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sage One on January 24, 2000 at 16:07:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone go to or know about ucf?? posted by O.K.? on January 24, 2000 at 14:42:57:

Bitter about things in general? No. I'm a happy guy, happily married, great kids, great job, great home, enough free-time and money to pursue my interests, one of which is music. God has been VERY good to me, and overall I consider myself very blessed.

Bitter about having my pocket picked? Yeah, kinda. The fact that I have to work 'til sometime in June before I've earned enough to pay my taxes, the fact that an ever-growing number of 'riders' are taking advantage of an ever-shrinking number of 'peddlers', this anger me. I am saddened for the riders I encounter. They are not as happy as the peddlers, and I hate to see people who have no joy because they have no self respect because they are riders. I am willing to share with others who NEED it, but I'm tired of having it taken from me by force of law for someone else's pleasure. I pay enough taxes in any given year to buy at least three Yorkbrunners, some years four. If that's because others have NEEDS (healthcare for kids or the infirm, etc.), great. BUT I'M SICK OF SUPPORTING OTHER PEOPLE'S FUN BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO DO THE WORK THEMSELVES!!! So, if I were to come to your house and take nearly half of everything you own so I could throw myself a party, you'd be alright with that?? You wouldn't mind giving me your address, would you? Be realistic. If you want to pay for someone else's tuba, buy one with YOUR money and give it away, but don't expect ME to do so. My own kids are my concern.

Have I made it? I don't know, that depends on your yardstick, but I'm what you would call upper middle class, and quite happy with my life. I just know that the world can afford only so many 'riders', and needs more 'peddlers'. I am a peddler. If that sounds like a boast, sorry, but it's just a fact. I can look in the mirror every morning with the satisfaction that I have done my part, and not been unnecessarily a burden to my fellowman. Why does my desire to instill that same ethic in others strike you as 'bitter'?

Music for everyone? Yes, but in leaner times I've had to find other outlets than tuba, because I COULDN'T AFFORD ONE. I didn't ask someone else to provide one for me. PedalBb might have to take up trombone, and play a beat-up King Cleveland (like I did for about six years). Or sing. Or whistle. Tuba is not the only music in town.

Condescending? Not in the least. If, for some reason, I thought PedalBb was a freeloader by nature, I wouldn't have bothered making the suggestion. It is RESPECT for others that causes me to expect much from them, not condescention.

POSTLUDE: This kind of response is why people do anonymous posting. My opinion is unpopular, and reflects a belief that being a responsible person is more important than being a good tuba player. Based upon this, people assume I'm mean and bitter. People who know me would laugh out loud at the idea, but people on this list are SOMETIMES predisposed to demonize those who disagree with them.

Best to all,
SO

Follow Ups: