Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CC tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale on January 24, 2000 at 16:40:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CC tuba posted by Jay Bertolet on January 24, 2000 at 08:55:57:

Hi guys, this is an interesting thread. I have a couple of points of fact to share about history, B&S, and maybe by the time I finish writing even life in general.
1) I've attached a link which leads to a brief history of the "fall of the Berlin Wall" which actually took place physically in 1990. Yeah that's right it's only been 10 years! I would have sworn it was a lot longer ago also. Anyways, the stateside distributor must have gotten around the so-called east-west trade block somehow, especially if Perantucci's started to show up 20 years ago. The only other possibility I can think of is that B&S moved from the eastern block before the fall of the wall.....certainly before the reunification of Germany which occurred after that wall was dismantled.
2) I'd known of people years ago who for years would take trips to Germany SPECIFICALLY to get B&S tubas on a one-at-a-time type deal, mainly because the only other way to get them stateside was to go through a large retailer with "exclusive" distribution rights (and the inherent mark-up.)
I don't think that B&S tubas are particularly great or particularly horrible, I just remember they were at the time inexpensive when purchased in europe and had the (at that time) the preferred sweet german sound (I'm talking about F tubas here)
3) I am confused after reading the comments...I always thought I knew what a "stencil horn" was....now I am not so sure. can someone who's close to the industry (like a sales professional?) comment? Is Perantucci a model of B&S tuba? Or does B&S make them for ....I don't even know who...?? No one out here on the left coast sells them as far as I know, in fact the only tuba I have seen that said Perantucci on it was (according to the owner) made by Walter Nirschl !

Follow Ups: