Re: Good piston F/Eb tuba ???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 24, 2000 at 18:08:08:

In Reply to: Good piston F/Eb tuba ??? posted by Bruce on January 24, 2000 at 12:59:08:

For solo and chamber applications, I really like the Yamaha YFB 621. It has a consistent sound throughout its range (unlike most rotary F's I've auditioned), and it's quite happy with a big-horn mouthpiece (forget the F mouthpiece--it will make it stuffy in the low register). The five valves allow all repertoire, and the horn gives you a lot of dynamic range. It's great in a tuba-euphonium quartet, because it gives a distinct third voice. No oinkiness anywhere to be heard. It's also well suited to brass quintet. Kelly O'Briant plays one for solo work, though his is slicker looking than mine.

It ain't the horn for the Dies Irae in Symphony Fantastique, though. For that you'd need one of the earth-mover F's like the 821. When I bought the F, though, I wanted a small horn that would be distinctly different than my BBb.

I don't like how often I have to pull slides out to empty water, and the plastic valve alignment guides require frequent replacement (I've bought a long-term stock).

Rick "Intonation is good, too" Denney

Follow Ups: