Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone go to or know about ucf??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on January 24, 2000 at 19:06:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone go to or know about ucf?? posted by Sage One on January 24, 2000 at 18:08:22:

What you say: "I am ON RECORD as SUPPORTING TAXPAYER SUPPORT of actual education in pursuit of productive contribution to society." What is perceived: "Music education is not actual education, nor is it's results a productive contribution to society." Why do you foster in your own kids a love for music when it leads nowhere and does not contribute to society? At what age will you dissuade your child's love of music so they may get on with more worthwhile pursuits?

What you say: "It's theft (taking money from its rightful owner and giving it to someone else to play with) that I object to." What is perceived: "Anyone who studies music (or any other subject I deem as unnecessary to the efficient and progressive evolution of society) is merely 'playing' and needs to grow up and get a real job." If this is how you really feel, your inclusion in this forum is detrimental to the hopes, dreams and aspirations of young artists who can't picture themselves doing any else and truly being happy.

What you say: "For what it's worth, I'm all in favor of increasing taxpayer support to 100% for students making a 3.0 or better GPA. Our society desperately needs more educated people." What is perceived: "I only want to financially support you if you're REALLY smart and are involved in an endeavor that I feel worthy." Some students bust their butts for their grades. Contrary to popular belief, not everybody who makes less than a 3.0 does so because they party too much. If you believe success in college is necessary to be a productive member of society, you are grossly misinformed. History is riddled with great thinkers, educators, philosophers, and yes, even artists who struggled with formal education. I've heard of "potentates" who got rid of 90% of the people they felt a burden to society. Let's just say their place in history is not an enviable one.

Why do you even work with church youth choirs? Why do you go out of your way to direct instrumental ensembles without even so much as compensation, or even some circuitous way to write it off on your taxes? Why do you support your kids in meaningless, fruitless artistic endeavors? Why "waste" so much effort on a practice that only leads down a road of unproductivity and a life of social and financial lechery? Maybe because there is something intrinsically deep, beautiful and human about involving oneself in artistic creation (just not deep enough, beautiful enough or human enough to support it like one would support a life of "productive contribution to society.").

Follow Ups: