Re: Wisdom tooth

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jan L on January 29, 2000 at 09:52:04:

In Reply to: Wisdom tooth posted by Tim C on January 28, 2000 at 19:05:41:

Tim, I started experiencing what you're going thru when I was about 20. I was playing in college and semi-professionally so I decided to tough it out and not get them removed. I toughed it out for another 20 years. During that time, my wisdom teeth never completely came in and would flare up quite unexpectedly. Unfortunately, I was making a living with my horn and barely supporting a family. Getting the teeth removed was out of the question so I continued to suffer thru the flare ups.

At age 40, I was no longer playing full time. I finally was able to have the offending teeth removed. After it was all said and done, I was a total idiot for waiting so long. For the first time in 20 years, I could play for hours without my jaw hurting for hours afterwards.

So.... here's my two cents: Talk to other brass and woodwind players and find a good oral surgeon; they have extensive training on the muscles, nerves and blood vessles of the face. A real plus would be to find an oral surgeon that also does facial plastic surgery; I had my wisdom teeth removed by such a doctor and I had wonderful results. Please don't go to a general dentist unless he is well recommended by other musicians that have had the same procedure done.

Yes, have them all removed at the same time. I did. Yes, it may take a week or so to get back on the horn. But, the longer you wait, the longer it will take for you to heal. And if you wait too long, your life may get in the way like mine did. Once your wisdom teeth are removed, you will NEVER have to suffer from them again.

Good luck Tim, and please find a good surgeon!

Follow Ups: