Re: St. Petersburg

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Why not Diversify? on January 30, 2000 at 19:23:08:

In Reply to: St. Petersburg posted by A. Valdez on January 27, 2000 at 16:44:00:

Like someone said earlier, it sounds like you're trying to buy the same tuba for both high school and junior high/middle school. If this is the case, I don't think it is very wise. I think buying miraphones for the whole shabang, like somebody else suggested, would be too expensive for you, even though they are cheap for their quality. I think you should look into buying miraphones for just the high school(s) poosibly, and buy something less expensive for the junior highs. By less expensive I mean possibly student yamaha's, those VMI 2301's(I think that's the number), or Jupiters. I think you should especially ask about the Jupiters. They're really inexpenive, even for the nice 4-valve front action model (around $17/1800 with case in the Brasswind I think) and they appear to be strongly built and wouldn't be the normal "pea-shooters" that you come across with starter tubas being that they have a decent width of tubing and are wrapped openly. Anyway, my point is to think about it a little more. It may be easier to just buy one tuba and get it over with, but you could maybe even save money and let the older students have horns they can appreciate more and let the young ones have less expensive tubas that would be less of a worry if dropped from a height of ten feet. An eighth grader (unless exceptional) won't play a horn any better or take any better care of it if it costs $2,000 more, but often, a high schooler will.

Follow Ups: