Re: Need a good CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Erik on January 01, 2001 at 22:40:11:

In Reply to: Need a good CC posted by Billy Morris on January 01, 2001 at 22:09:43:

While I understand all of your other requirements, I would hesitate about limiting yourself to particular bore sizes. There was a thread recently about bore sizes of piston vs. rotary, and it was mentioned that the Chicago York (Jacobs' horn) had a bore of about .750, so I guess you wouldn't want one of those . . . Sorry to poke fun, but the point I am trying to make is that you cannot determine how a horn will sound just from the bore. Say I have two tubas, one has a bore of more than .800 and one in the mid-.700's. Now if I asked you (or anyone, for that matter) to characterize the sounds of these horns based only on the fact that they are both CC and they have the given bore sizes, you would say that the >.800 has a big, full sound while the mid-.700 has a little lighter sound. Now I bring the horns out from behind the curtain and you see that the .800 is a piggy and the mid-.700 is a 6/4 york. Obviously, the 6/4 would have the big sound. I suggest that instead of trying to pick out a horn based on numbers, you take a trip to a place like the Brasswind or Dillon's and blow on as many tubas as possible to see which you sound the best on. Matt at Dillon's has continually offered this advice to people here who ask about the *best* tuba to buy. After all, you don't want to spend $5k+ on a horn only to find out it doesn't work for you. Good luck with you search and have a Happy New Year!

Erik

Follow Ups: