Re: Re: Need a good CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on January 02, 2001 at 02:09:24:

In Reply to: Re: Need a good CC posted by Mark F. on January 02, 2001 at 00:18:01:

There have been a LOT of students and professionals "make their bones" on a 186. I realize that they're not in vogue right now, but they're still excellent and consistent horns. According to the Tuba Census (http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/3990/prosur.html), there are seven listed pros playing 186's. I'm sure there are a lot more than that, as well as a vast number of students.

I think that the tried-and-true might be the best way to go for now, until your education and playing mature in the college years. Your playing will undergo a dramatic change over the next couple of years, if you have a good teacher. It may be that the horn you would buy today, you won't even consider when you're a senior. If you decide to change in two or three years, the horn will still be in good enough shape to fetch a good price (assuming that you bought it new and have taken good care of it) that can be put towards a different horn. Who knows? You might fall in love with a 186 and never want to change. It's a good, solid, all-around horn. The same can be said about several other horns, but I don't think any others are available new for under $5K.

As stated elsewhere, big bore does not necessarily = big sound. My piggy has an .835 bore, but I have to REALLY work to project in the community band I play with. I would gladly trade for a 186's .770 bore, because I know it will project much more easily.

Follow Ups: