Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: College auditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by anon on January 03, 2001 at 14:26:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: College auditions posted by Scott Sutherland on January 03, 2001 at 14:12:40:

Scott:

I respect your post and if I have misstated the situation at USC, I will withdraw it. I do stand by my negative comments about CCM and NEC and my positive comments about Eastman.

The bigger point - here is a kid who will be traveling all over the country with 2 horns, a very expensive proposition. And notwithstanding your experience to the contrary at USC, it is very common at the top schools that incoming students are "pre-selected" or put another way have some sort of relationship or history with the tuba prof. I know this is true because I have experienced it (and benefitted from it) first hand.

I just hate to see people waste their money. In no way am I trying to discourage this kid. I know a kid who got into Eastman this year, and he never visited the school - he sent a tape and got accepted. I think this is a more economical way of auditioning - work really hard on a great tape and send it to these farflung schools.

Follow Ups: