Re: Re: Re: Re: Prok. 5 recording St. Louis

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 04, 2001 at 12:29:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Prok. 5 recording St. Louis posted by Oops.Check.Your.Date. on January 04, 2001 at 09:31:32:

Mike will probably chime in here (and maybe he already has under a pseudonym). As I remember it, 1987-88 was the year of turmoil for the San Antonio symphony, and Mike took a sabbatical and played in Salt Lake City. I'm remembering this because the year before the turmoil (when the storm clouds were gathering on the horizon) I lived in Austin, and my move to San Antonio was in late '87. Karl Hovey was his replacement for the portion of the season that actually occurred. My fuzzy memory tells me he came back the next year, and then won the audition in Saint Louis. That would have put him in Saint Louis starting in 1989. But a nagging memory tells me that he ended up spending two years in Salt Lake City, and I just can't remember which ones those were. A little divoting in the Tuba Source Book (not near to hand) will resolve the dates--look up Karl Hovey, too.

In any case, he wasn't in Saint Louis in 1984, unless he was subbing. I studied with him briefly in 1985 when he was still in San Antonio.

Rick "don't blame him for my bad results" Denney

Follow Ups: