Re: Re: Re: Re: valve bass trombones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ACE on January 04, 2001 at 17:47:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: valve bass trombones posted by Klaus on January 04, 2001 at 08:42:26:

Klaus,

Steve has posted the web address above, and the price. The model nomenclature is
CVT 576-4R. I bought my horn in 1996 through Charlie Krause who was at BW then. The price was $1325. This horn is very well made. I believe Mike Russo had previously indicated that Cerveny rotary products are made at a factory separate from the parent company, Amati.

The basic configuration for this horn apparently dates back to the 1860's when V.F.Cerveny designed a large rotary bass trombone for the military market. (It's hard to conceive of some poor Czech soldier/bandsman carrying this heavy thing around on the parade ground!) A popular book on the trombone family states, "It (valved trombone) was widely used in military bands. In 1867 Czerveny of Koniggratz, for example, was manufacturing Armee-Posaunen in four sizes---alto in Eb or F, tenor in C or Bb, bass in F or Eb, and contrabass in Bb."

As I stated in my earlier post, this instrument is a bit demanding physically. But, it is really fun to play at concerts-------there's always at least one trombone or tuba player out in the audience who will come up to the orchestra and inquire about the instrument. By the way, I learned F tuba (four valve) fingerings using this horn.

Follow Ups: