Re: recordings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on January 04, 2001 at 18:08:34:

In Reply to: recordings posted by arik on January 04, 2001 at 15:49:22:

Red, White and Brass - Canadian Brass with members of the BSO, NYPO and a couple of extras. For me, anyways, about the most amazing recorded tuba/brass sound I've ever heard (Chester Schmitz and Warren Deck). Crank up the first track, clear out some space on the floor for your jaw to hit, sit back and listen - unbelievable.

Orchestral:
Mahler 5 (Mehta/NYPO)
Highlights from the Ring (Mehta/NYPO - Ride of the Valkyries/The Tuba That Ate New York)
Sibelius 2/Finlandia (Mehta/NYPO)
Pictures at an Exhibition (Sinpoli/NYPO)
Copland 2 (Bernstein/NYPO)
Prokofiev 6 (Previn/LAPO - out of print, very hard to find, but worth the effort)
Prokofiev Lt. Kije/Alexander Nevsky (Previn/LAPO)
Prokofiev 5 (Slatkin/SLSO)
Planets (Mehta/LAPO/early 70s - bordering on shock value, nearly impossible to find on CD, I might have an extra copy or two to sell)

If you're willing to drift over into pops/soundtrack recordings, check out:

E.T. - John Williams (the recent remastered issue)
Poltergeist - Jerry Goldsmith (the recent remastered issue)
Salute to Hollywood - John Williams conducting the Boston Pops (Chester swallows the entire orchestra on the first note!)
Cape Fear - Bernard Hermann (re-recording for the most recent movie release - Elmer Bernstein conducting 16 horns and Warren!)
Edward Scissorhands - Danny Elfman (Norm Pearson with some help from Doug Tornquist - great playing!)
Beetlejuice - Danny Elfman (wall-to-wall tuba)
Batman Forever - Elliot Goldenthal
Silverado - Bruce Broughton (Tommy Johnson)
Any of the Indiana Jones movies
Dennis the Menace - Jerry Goldsmith (Jim Self on solo tuba - this one's hard to find)
Frighteners - Danny Elfman

I'll probably come up with some more soundtrack suggestions after I get home from work and take a peek at my collection. For now, though, this oughtta get you started...

Follow Ups: