Re: Dam Double Buzz

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger Lewis on January 08, 2001 at 21:17:10:

In Reply to: Dam Double Buzz posted by Joey on January 07, 2001 at 19:52:59:

We need to clarify some things here. When you are actually buzzing your lips form a sine wave inside the mouthpiece that looks like what you would see on an oscilloscope. What interupts the function is the surface that the upper lip bounces against is unevenin firmness. I have found in my teaching over the years that the cause is most often a combination of many of the things already stated and a lack of firmness of the lower lip. The upper lip does most of the work in producing the vibration that is then amplified into the sound coming out of the bell. When the lower lip is unfirm on one side or the other the upper lip will be allowed to form two sine waves meeting in the middle and of different frequencies causing, in effect, two notes to be produced at once and fighting each other harmonically.
As to fatigue playing a role, yes it is a contributor but a symptom not a cause. Over practicing in the high reister will contribute to the fatige but not necessarily to the double buzz. Over practicing in the high register most often leads to a loss of the attack in the middle register for a short period of time but will not impact the low register greatly. Often the effects will pass in a day or so.
Look to your lower lip position and firmness to effect a change in the physics of the embochure. I think you'll see a difference immediately. All of the comments on air flow and tongue position should be heeded as they will help round things out.
Just my $0.02 on obserations of 33 years of teaching and playing professionally.
Best of luck in your endevors.

Follow Ups: