Re: Re: Ron Pisarkiewicz

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on January 09, 2001 at 09:58:24:

In Reply to: Re: Ron Pisarkiewicz posted by Jay Bertolet on January 06, 2001 at 17:35:26:

I've always admired his "go get 'em" brand of playing. I met Ron briefly after a rehearsal of Bartok's "Miraculous Mandarin" in Vienna in 1981 (Zubin Mehta was conducting). During the rehearsal, Ron occassionally looked up things in a score that he had brought to the rehearsal. He wanted to know more about the piece than just his own part. He was incredibly nice and generous, and I really regret not having had a horn with me, so that I could have taken a lesson or two. He was a big admirer of the Viennese single F-horn (the closest thing to a valveless "natural" horn), and wanted to get Wenzel Meinl to start making copies of them. I guess that was before Yamaha begun making copies of them. Obviously, we had a long conversation on that very subject. Anyway, 1981 was before Ron got his 4/4 Hirsbrunner (I always wondered what that was), and he was playing on a standard rotary valve MW 5 valve CC. In Vienna, the Musikverein is a relatively small hall with "live" acoustics, so a BAT is not really a necessity. Again, I greatly regret not having "hung out" with him longer and/or taking a few lessons.

Barry Guerrero
San Francisco

Follow Ups: