Trumcor and Humes+Berg

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mark F. on January 12, 2001 at 09:14:22:

Several people people contacted me with advise regarding mutes, and so I say thank you. Here is what I found.
I still would like to try a small H+B mute for my piggy, I am hoping that Charlie can find me one when he get back in town. However, I contacted a local company called Trumcor mutes. Two members of the Dallas Symphony make and market mutes out of their homes. Greg Hustis (principal horn) let me try a Medium sized mute for use with my Piggy, and it was as good an experience as can be had with a mute. Near perfect intonation, with NO change in the response of the instrument. even in the exteam low register. The medium size was a little big for a piggy, (perfect for a 186), so if a buy one of those I may ask to look at the smaller size.
Two small hangups with trumcor, the first being the price. After tax, it will be about $190. That is a load of money to spend on something I might use every other year. The other hangup is the fact that it is a fiber mute. I don't know how well a fiber mute would blend with trombone section of my Symphony, who uses denis wick metal mutes. I know the conductor would not know or care which kind I was using, but that is not the point. I would know and care.

Follow Ups: