Re: Re: Re: It occurs to me

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on January 13, 2001 at 00:33:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: It occurs to me posted by Rick Denney on January 12, 2001 at 19:05:22:

Rick, are you certain that your York "Master" is American? To be quite candid, one of my two current personal projects is a CC conversion of a York "Master". My York "Master" has (had) a detachable bell, front-action pistons, and a .750" bore. It was made in the same factory that Walter Nirschl currently owns (Bohm & Meinl), as were "evasive" Marzan tubas. For the sake of SOUND, I am putting an AMERICAN York bell on this instrument, but the reasons that I am undertaking this project include good intonation, incredible slurring - both with valved and partial slurs (bordering on "effortless"), and the incredible gutsy response throughout all registers. (Does this remind you of YOUR "Master"?)

If Hirsbrunner valves will (or almost will) drop right into your valve casings, you have a GERMAN instrument. In addition, a very high serial # that doesn't seem to 'jibe" with York serial # lists would be another tip-off.

(I am not just speculating or "running my mouth". I have personally "accused" Walter Nirschl of manufacturing these instruments and he "owned up" to it.)

Follow Ups: