Re: Suite for Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark on January 16, 2001 at 03:11:54:

In Reply to: Suite for Tuba posted by Stephanie on January 15, 2001 at 18:03:01:

Hey, congrats on playing the Haddad (I assume) with your band. It is available through the publisher. (Shawnee I believe as mention in a previous follow up.) I and several of my past students have performed this with our high school bands and it's a fun piece. (Of course that was many moons ago for me!)

Just as a FYI, unlike most solos with band accompliment, the Haddad was written for piano and then transcribed for band by the composer at a later date. This means he had to take the right hand in the piano part and transcribe it for the upper woowinds. This is really not too bad except in the first movement. You may wish to have the conductor instruct that the woodwind parts that are very repetitive be staggered or alternated so that it doesn't become a slugfest between you and them. In general, the WW's get a bit worn down and tend to drag. (Sometimes the pianist does too!)

I know this is unsolicited, but it was a reoccuring problem with the groups I know who have done it and thought it might help you when you did it and save some time.

Good luck!

Follow Ups: