Re: Re: Fifth Valve for Mirafone 186

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 16, 2001 at 08:47:35:

In Reply to: Re: Fifth Valve for Mirafone 186 posted by Bryan on January 16, 2001 at 02:06:17:

Actually, I had this procedure done to two of my current instruments (adding a 5th rotary valve to a 4 rotary valve horn) and the horns played exactly the same as before the procedure. No kidding, I really couldn't tell the difference. There were no intonation side effects from the procedure either. My experience tells me that there isn't much risk.

If someone is still nervous about performing this procedure, there is a strategy you can employ that will guarantee that the horn won't be ruined. Simply buy another leadpipe from the factory. Presumably, the factory can provide a leadpipe that is nearly identical to the one on the horn (Cervany & Rudolph Meinl have done it for me). You could have the technician doing the work remove the old leadpipe and put the new one on. Then you could play test the horn to be sure the new leadpipe plays the same as the old one. If so, then proceed to remove that pipe and then cut the valve into that leadpipe and install the new assembled parts. Then play test the horn again and see if the new setup still plays acceptably. If not, then remove the parts and reinstall the old leadpipe. Viola, the horn is exactly the way it was when you started (except for some solder burns, depending on the quality of the workmanship).

I think following this procedure has a much better chance of yielding a 5 valve tuba that plays like your current one than buying a new horn. It is also much less expensive and you end up with an extra leadpipe in the bargain. Best of luck!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: