Re: 6/4 VMI CC...is this a good axe?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rex Roeges on January 17, 2001 at 00:11:23:

In Reply to: 6/4 VMI CC...is this a good axe? posted by The Enquirer on January 15, 2001 at 13:39:12:

I've had a VMI 4098 Neptune(5rv) for about 6 mos and I am very satisfied with it. Here are a few observations:
1. The horn projects very well. I used to play an older 5/4 BBb Hirsch, and this projects better. This horn, however, can also speak softly and still sound very good (not so with the Hirsch). Note that this may have been a problem with me, not the Hirsch, although I never heard anyone play that horn softly.
2. The notes slot well. I played BBb horns for 30 years and switched to this CC horn because it slots better than any BBb I've ever played.
3. It's a little tight getting the covers off the back of the valves, but doable.
4. Don't lay the horn on it's "back" across your lap (bell to the left, valves up) or you'll get grease on your left pant leg from the 3rd & 4th valve slides. I don't know if this is a problem with the 4p+1 version.
5. The combination of me+current mouthpiece+VMI4098 tends to play fairly sharp. I believe that I can solve this with a bigger mouthpiece and more open chops.
6. Playing this horn forces me to correct bad habits. I've found that when I go back and play my old MW20 now, I sound better after playing my VMI4098.
7. I love playing this horn. I just feel good everytime I play it.

When you are looking at horns, get the one that you fall in love with and ignore long winded posts like this.

Pick a good one,
Rex

Follow Ups: