Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hirsbrunner/Nirschl Evaluation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on January 18, 2001 at 23:41:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hirsbrunner/Nirschl Evaluation posted by Klaus on January 18, 2001 at 23:16:49:

The military does not "give" instruments to musicians. They issue them. So, when you leave the military the horn is passed on to the next guy.

Uncle Sam keeps his soldiers/sailors/airman/marines fairly well equiped. The brands cover the whole spectrum of brands from Bach trumpets to Lawson French horns, to Buffet Clarinets, to Yamaha trombones, and every other combination of manufacturer/instrument. From what I have seen it boils down to who is in charge of choosing the instruments, such as the section leader, and how persuasive that person can be to the people who are controlling the budget for the unit.

As far as tubas, I have seen some pretty high quality gear out there covering every professional grade instrument imaginable. In the premier bands alone I have seen Perantucci, Hirsbrunner, Getzen, Yamaha, Kalison, Rudy Meinl, Besson, Meinl Weston, and others represented.

You can use your own instrument, but over a 20 year period it can take a good beating. Might as well let the government foot the bill to properly equip you.

sean

Follow Ups: