Re: Mirafone 1290's?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom B. on January 20, 2001 at 19:22:45:

In Reply to: Mirafone 1290's? posted by Barry Guerrero on January 20, 2001 at 18:13:08:

I'd be happy to share to little that I know...
The 1290 is, as you are probably aware, the decent size piston CC tuba produced by Miraphone. I've been told that the actual 1290 is no longer in production and that it has been replaced by an "updated" version called the 1295...seems the same if you asked me, but I haven't spent a lot of time around 1290's. My impressions of the version that I have played, the new 1295, is that it is an excellent instrument. It is a totally diffenent design from any other Miraphone. I don't like the valve setup...it just dosen't work for me. The buttons are small and the valves require a decent size hand span to be able to play it correctly, also, the "curve" of the valve set just dosen't work with my hand. I would probably love it if they would put on bigger finger buttons that are just flat (they are curved in), and "un-curve" the valve set. Still I feel that it is an excellent instrument...the one I played was of excellent construction quality, and sounded great. The only thing that is commonly said about these instruments that I disagree with is that they are large instruments. To me they seemed like a 4/4 piston cc, not Miraphone's attempt to copy the York. It is a unique design. I personally liked the new 188 much more, and am seriously considering purchasing one.

Follow Ups: