Re: Re: Re: VW

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 20, 2001 at 23:30:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: VW posted by lets hear this story! on January 20, 2001 at 09:24:00:

As MC would say, Story time...

I was in a community orchestra in Austin called The Community Symphony (not to be confused with The Austin Civic Symphony). We had a conductor who was a brilliant musician, but a bit young and naive. He decided that for the next year, everyone would be auditioned, because we'd never had auditions before. This worried me a bit; it was pre-Tubameisters for me, and even before the few lessons I had with real pros. Whatever small ability I have now is vastly more than I had then.

When he taught music lessons, he would frequently use some simple melody so that the technical limitations would be eliminated and he could focus on the musical aspects. "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" was a favorite for him to use in that application.

He wanted us to define the music that we would use for the audition, and he wanted us to challenge ourselves in ways we thought were important for the good of the orchestra. He was trying to make a point, and it's a good point for an amateur group: There will always be technical problems, but even the most technically challenged duffer can maintain a true respect for the music. That way, any technical progress would is in the right direction.

I kept hinting that I was going to bring the Hindemith Sonata (which I cannot play--and especially could not play at that time), and I carefully warmed up that piece in the other room before the audition (I was sure he could hear me). It was horrible in ways I don't even want to admit. He had a pained look on his face when I sat down in the audition room.

Of course, I took a deep breath and played "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" with as much musicality as I could muster, even managing not to succomb to Baritone Syndrome and slow it down to a funereal pace, as most did in his lessons. (Extinguish those flamethrowers; I meant *vocal* baritone.) It was a true coup d'etat on his position; he had no choice but to welcome me with open arms.

The sad part is that unless our string bass player (yes, singular) didn't show up, the literature we played was technically easier than that little tune. At least until a guest conductor decided we needed to play the Acdemic Fesival Overture.

Rick "but that's another story" Denney

Follow Ups: