Re: Re: Why does Sam use Bill Bell Tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by well . . . on January 29, 2001 at 06:37:32:

In Reply to: Re: Why does Sam use Bill Bell Tuba? posted by I. Red Carefully on January 28, 2001 at 21:18:26:

My original post was asking the twofold question as to whether he chose the Bill Bell CC specifically because it gave him the sound he wanted WHEN RECORDING (only), and/or whether he also used this horn for performing.

You made an inference that I wasn't giving credit to Sam P.'s playing -- I certainly didn't (and wouldn't) make that implication. C'mon, you've got to give a poster SOME credit in this regard. Instead, you jumped to a conclusion, and took it as an opportunity to vent.

Back to the specs on the tuba -- WW&BW catalog lists .689 bore and 16.5" bell. So - ISN'T this rather on the small side? The Rudy 3/4 CC has a .730 bore and a 17 inch bell. For an inquiring mind who's trying to come up with a list of tubas to try out (and doesn't want to ask Mike Russo to bring out his entire stock of horns just for lil' ol' me), I would be inclined to dismiss this horn based on the numbers, as probably sounding too small for some venues. So, it was my curiousity to know whether this was merely an agile tuba Sam used for recording only, or if also for live performances.

Who in his/her right mind would snub Sam's playing ability? That certainly shouldn't be a conclusion a reader ought to quickly jump to . . . I would assume everyone would simply take stellar playing as an absolute truth with Pilafian, and focus on the topic of the post!

Thanks to the one poster who answered the question -- stating that Sam often performs in live venues with the same horn.

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: