Re: Re: Is it the tuba or the player?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ike H. on January 29, 2001 at 13:18:00:

In Reply to: Re: Is it the tuba or the player? posted by Chuck Jackson on January 28, 2001 at 14:18:51:

I agree also with what you're saying, Chuck. But, there is now a much more of a selection of instruments than ever, and it's easy to think there's a holy grail of our own waiting for us, and if we could only find it, we could play as well as any Bobo or Jacobs out there (we think). There is no substitute for good old practice time put in, and a knowledgeable teacher to guide us, but it sure nice to have a good axe in there with you to add a little extra inspiration.
As you know I'm primarily a bassist, but I approach buying a new instrument about the same on both fronts. First, you have to have the concept of what you want to sound like IN YOUR HEAD before spending untold amounts of money on that special piece of hardware you'll be spending untold amounts of hours with. AND, you want to have in mind what you're primarily going to be using it for(orchestra? chamber? jazz? solo?. . .). I'm sure after all I've heard, the CSO York is a superior instrument and all that, but how many of us are in need of 6/4 horn for what we do?
When I'm trying out new horns or basses, I want to keep in mind all these things and above all, the sound I hear in my mind IS playing the perfect instrument (for me) and ideally, what I'm looking for is something that won't get in the way of pursuing that sound.
Oh, well - my $.02

Follow Ups: