Re: hearing/seeing a great player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian on January 29, 2001 at 21:28:36:

In Reply to: hearing/seeing a great player posted by Mark F. on January 29, 2001 at 01:33:59:

Mine happened just this past year at Chicago TubaChristmas this is kinda a two for one.

Part one

I went to the mid-west clinic mainly so I could try out all the new F Tubas on the market but a few days before I left for the convention I was crusing arround the internet and I found that Tuba Christmas was on the Thursday of the Clinic. So I decided I would take my CC Tuba with me so I could go play at Tuba Christmas. This was great not only did I get to meet Harvey Phillips in person I got to play for Fredrick Fennell.

Part two.

While waiting for the performance to start I noticed Gene Pokorny walk in with the York and sit down. I was not going to let this opertunity pass me by so I quietly gathered my horn and stand and moved over next to Gene. I'll tell you playing down the line from that man was incredible!!! I did get to talk to him after the performance and boy oh boy did that make my year. Since then I have found that practicing and playing tuba much more rewarding than it has ever been. It reassured me that playing tuba was something that I wanted to do for the rest of my life. It makes me look forward to my last two and a half years of undergrad and being able to gather as much information from my professor and to become the best tuba player I can posibly become.

Thanks Mark for posting this question and leting me relive this moment in my head again.

Brian "can't wait to have another great experience" Badgley

Follow Ups: