Re: Change bore to cut BBb to CC?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wowwy on January 31, 2001 at 18:41:30:

In Reply to: Change bore to cut BBb to CC? posted by Mark in Ohio on January 28, 2001 at 22:19:08:

You really shouldn't do this. When your horn was manufactured, it was made to play most in tune with the Bb overtone series. Basicly your horn was made to play in tune as a Bb horn, when you cut your tubing you will be changing the overtone series to the key of C. You will expierence drastic fluctuations in the intonation of the horn, no matter what the bore size. Your horn will actually be out of tune with itself.

I have had personal experience with this last problem. I bought a CC horn when I switched from BBb. The horn I bought (a Getzen G-50) had the ability to convert to a BBb with included adapters. Sure, now it plays in the key of Bb now but the general intonation of the horn, to be frank, sucks.

It's your horn, so do what you like, but just remember it was made to play in Bb. You will be very lucky if all works out alright. If I'm too late, best of luck. If not, think about what I've said and at least consider it.

Follow Ups: