Re: Penn State Music Program

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Forbes, PSU graduate on February 01, 2001 at 19:32:19:

In Reply to: Penn State Music Program posted by Nugpot on January 31, 2001 at 18:36:40:

I went to Penn State from 1991-1995 and studied tuba performance--I am now a colleague of Sean Chisham's in the U.S Army Band, Pershing's Own. When I got to PSU, I studied with Mark Lusk (Bass Trombone, the ONLY low brass teacher at that time) for the 1st two years (spent one year in England at the Royal Northern College of Music) then came back for my senior year where I studied with the then NEW TUBA TEACHER, Marty Erickson. He had just retired from 20 years in the Navy Band, and was ready to enter the world of academia.

Marty is indeed a great fellow and a wonderful pedagogue. Perhaps one of his greatest credits is his outstanding playing--I can't remember how many times he "schooled" me in lessons...and you can learn a GREAT deal just from listening to him play. Additionally, Marty believes greatly in "HIRE" education...that is, getting his students gigs when it's all said and done. He has hooked me up with publishers for my writing, and professionals for my teaching and playing. But above all else, he's a great guy and Penn State is a really fun school!

Incidentally, Mark Lusk, the trombone professor is also FABULOUS! I notice more and more how his initial teachings affect me perhaps more than anyone else in my current endeavors. He was naturally my FIRST teacher, so that holds a lot of weight, but is also one of the greatest musical influences in my life.

Have a great time at PENN STATE!

Mike

Follow Ups: