Re: Re: Rose Ball Half Time Show

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on January 05, 2002 at 20:57:37:

In Reply to: Re: Rose Ball Half Time Show posted by Charlie Huggins on January 05, 2002 at 19:20:52:

When I was at Nebraska (jeez, 13 years ago now), we used Dinkles. Not sure what they're using now. Outside of that band, I've marched most often in Drillmasters, and done a couple seasons in a Style Plus shoe. The Drillmasters are great for marching, but they don't have that solid old school Buck-like look that some others do.

The tuba section at that time was on a variety of mouthpieces. I was basically starting tuba full-time (in addition to trombone), and used a school-owned Mirafone mpc for a couple months before buying myself a Conn Helleberg. The line wasn't all-20K then, either -- I got to march a King (satin silver, gold-ish bell interior).

The bowl game that season was another blowout, that time to FLorida State. Enough of us didn't care much about the game, so we weren't very upset. I still could probably play the FSU fight song, complete with horn moves, from memory because of all the times it got played. ;-)

I'll agree, too, that there are much better bands out there, and it's evident that the Nebraska band won't be "winning" the Sudler Trophy again anytime soon. I wish that they had more movement, really -- but I could rant for hours about the standards back home.

Follow Ups: