Re: Re: Re: finding info on a horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on January 06, 2002 at 16:26:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: finding info on a horn posted by Norm on January 06, 2002 at 14:12:56:

The main difference is in the loop of the 1st valve tubing. The newer horns have a wider loop in the first valve and it is easier to reach to pull. I believe that the older ones had a double loop in the first valve slide, like on the older King sousaphones. I am going from memory and haven't seen them side by side in a while. Matt Walters would be able to give you a definitive answer. Some of the Kings, in both models, were stuffy in the lower register, low A to pedal Bb. You have to play the specific sample to tell if you like the way it plays. I really like the way the newer ones with the fixed bells play better than any of the old ones. Other than that just look for normal things that you would look for on an older horn, i.e. worn/leaky valves, loose/leaky joints, red-rot.

A fair price for one of these in good, playable condition is around $2000. I have seen them sell for as little as $1000. In mint condition they get around $2500.

Follow Ups: