Re: Double tonguing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Heather on January 06, 2002 at 17:22:27:

In Reply to: Double tonguing posted by Doug on January 06, 2002 at 17:01:48:

Well, I can't tell you much about the formation of the tongue or whatever or anything about that, but when I was at the International Tuba-Euphonium Workshop this past summer at the University of Oklahoma, Dr. Brian Bowman (I assume you know who he is) told us that you should try saying "Tah-Kah" in order to have immediate air after your tongue....he also stated that it SHOULD be easier for one to triple tongue because it is "sloppier"...meaning the reason why is because in the English language, everything is said faster and sloppier...try saying "Tah-Tak-Kah" for triple tonguing....the second syllable should sound as if you were cocking a gun....getting ready for the 3rd syllable. Anyway, that's what I've been taught, and both are used to have immediate air folloring the tongue....try saying it as much as possible (I.E., walking down the hall, in the shower, whatever) and then applying it to the horn. It takes practice! So be patient! I hope that was of some help, even though I know I didn't answer your specific question.

Follow Ups: