Re: Re: Re: False Tones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve C on January 07, 2002 at 04:28:19:

In Reply to: Re: Re: False Tones posted by Heather on January 05, 2002 at 14:37:24:

Kinda surprised Dr Young didn't pick up that you play are euph, and the comment about the horn playing out of tune in "that Register" - I assume you mean below low F.
The YEP-321 is non-compensating, so the chromatic valve combination won't work when you hold down the 4th valve. E=24 or 14; Eb=14 or 124; D=234; Db=134; C=1234.
On a compensating horn, 4th valve feeds back through 1,2 and 3, where there is a second set of slide that lengthen the activated tube length through those valve, making the horn play in low F.
Without the compensating system, you need to find which fingerings give you the best intonation, the fingerings above should be close enough.
If 24 for E too is sharp, try 14.
14 and 124 will both be off, but is 14 is way too sharp, then 124 should be lipable (that a word?)
234 for D should be about dead on.
Db and C will ride sharp, but should be manageable, I have played few horns that needed 1234 as Db, which would place you in need of use for a false C, but I don't remember the 321 being one of them.
People have suggested a new mouthpiece to try to, I would recommend a Wick 4AY. Its a small-shank version of the 4AL. Its advertised as being like a 51D in size, but it's bigger, more like a 3G I think.
I think with the right mpc, your opinion on that horn might change, it's quite a good horn, Yamaha just needs to wake-up and put a large receiver on it so a more appropriate mpc can be used on it.

Good Luck,
Steve C

Follow Ups: