Re: Sonata # 1 in F major

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Erik on January 09, 2002 at 04:02:47:

In Reply to: Sonata # 1 in F major posted by Nick on January 08, 2002 at 21:45:09:

Well, I was working on it early in the year (well, last year I guess) and I was looking for a recording of it, as I really liked the piece. All I could find on cd were his recorder pieces and a few other items. Then on Morpheus or Audiogalaxy, I came across a movement played by Michael Lind. It turns out he's recorded it, and its available on cd. There's a link below.

As far as advice, I'll see what I can offer... The first is to think of a cello while playing it. Think of how the phrasing would sound on one, which notes would get weight. Play it lightly. Even during the forte sections, concentrate on keeping the music light and moving along--it shouldn't sound heavy. If you've got time, you can think of putting in some embellishments. I was told by my teacher that on repeated sections on this sort of music, on the second time through many performers add embellishments such as trills and gracenotes quite liberally. The first movement is rife with opportunities for these, and it can make the piece more fun and give you a chance to be creative. As I said, this is optional, and by no means necessesary. Other than that, I can't really think of anything else to add. Good luck.

Follow Ups: