Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No Tuba Audition for Civc!?!?!?!?!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker, in the Amen corner on January 10, 2002 at 17:02:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No Tuba Audition for Civc!?!?!?!?! posted by js on January 09, 2002 at 19:47:27:

Amen Joe! The continued existence of A-N-Y organization is best decided based upon the fact that someone CARES, and a durn good way to find out if someone cares is to ask them to open their wallets.

If you still want to offer concerts to those who can't afford to buy tickets, then give away a certain percentage of the tickets through schools, boys/girls clubs or churches in disadvantaged neighborhoods, etc. Or maybe sell the best seats and give away the 'cheap seats'.

Shoot, if they HAVE to cut paid personnel, I'd rather see them offer some of the lower string and middle brass seats to unpaid locals - 'walk-ons', if you like - than eliminate low brass AND percussion!! There must be some very promising players, not yet up to the same standards as the section leaders but still very capable, who could fill out the string sections while being supported by family. You could say that allowing slightly less capable players would hurt the prestige of the organization; but what kind of training is it to play in an orchestra sans trombones, tuba and percussion? How long will such an ensemble continue to draw top-notch talent? Besides, you could keep FULL MEMBERSHIP in the orchestra to those who meet the existing criteria, making the 'walk-ons' associate members, or apprentice members, or alternates.
Note: While I think this is a great idea, I know the union would go ape. Better no orchestra than someone playing without payment.

Joe Baker, who would go to very few free orchestra concerts if they didn't have low brass or percussion.

Follow Ups: