Re: Advice on Eb or F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Norberg on January 11, 2002 at 13:13:55:

In Reply to: Advice on Eb or F posted by Paul on January 11, 2002 at 03:56:45:

When you try out horns, I would strongly suggest figuring out exactly what you want before you go. A couple of years ago I went to Brasswind to look for an Eb or F for the same reasons you are now, but I went with a vague idea that I wanted a "good" sounding horn in a "solo/quintet key". I went home with a Miraphone 1261, which was not coincidentally the biggest horn they had (they didn't have any Willson Eb's). I realized later that I was really looking for the horn that was most like the horns I was playing, not a good contrast. So ask yourself, what's most important to you? Sound? Good intonation? Even response throughout the range? Do you want something that sounds like a smaller version of your 191, or do you want something that sounds lighter? Get these questions answered before you go, otherwise you might find yourself walking home with a horn you don't want.

From what you've said already, I'd stay away from both the Miraphone and Yamaha Eb's. They're both a little big to be using for mostly solo/quintet stuff. I can't say much for PT models since I've never played any of their F's. And as for other models you should look at, besides the obvious answer of trying everything you can get your hands on, I personally like the Rudy Meinl F, so I think you should give that horn at least a look.

Scott

Follow Ups: