After the Army Tuba Conference . . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Forbes on January 12, 2002 at 10:55:45:

Hello all!

Just a little blurb for those of you making the trip down to D.C. for the Army conference and might be interested in seeing the sights for a day or two, then come to my D.M.A. Lecture recital at the University of Maryland on Monday, Jan. 28th at 8 PM!

First of all, I'm giving a class at the conference at 3 PM on Friday (right after the College Ensembles Concert) on arranging and composing for Low Brass. I'm going to have my quartet, Sotto Voce, on hand to play examples directly from the overhead and from an example hand-out page. Perhaps never before have the "do's" and "don't's" of arranging and composing for low brass been made more clear!

Anyway, because Sotto Voce (Demondrae Thurman, Euph., Patrick Schulz, Euph., and Nat McIntosh, Tuba) will be in town for this lecture, they have agreed to help me with my DMA lecture recital. So will my other tuba/euph. quartet: The U.S. Army Band Tuba Quartet (Bob Powers, Euph., Don Palmire, Euph., Jon Voth Tuba), plus additional help from new Army tubist, Mike Eberly.

The lecture recital will discuss the tuba/euphonium compositions by John Stevens and their effect on us and our instruments. Not only will I trace the development and progress of John Stevens as a composer, but also how his works for our medium have helped to develop the literature for our instruments and increase the abilities of today's players.

I had the fortune of doing my masters with John and am now working with John's teacher, Toby Hanks at the University of Maryland. I'm also a composer (primarily for this genre) so I feel I might just have something to contribute!

We'll be playing: Power, Dances, Music 4 Tubas, Manhattan Suite, Diversions, Moondance, Fanfare for a Friend, and concluding with Sysiphus (Toby conducting!).

Please join me, Toby Hanks, Sotto Voce Tuba Quartet, and the U.S. Army Tuba Quartet at the University of Maryland, Tawes Fine Arts Center (NOT the new school of music), in Ulrich Recital Hall at 8:00 PM on Monday, Jan. 28th. (Lecture recitals are forced to be in the OLD recital hall.)

Additionally, if you're still interested (and still reading), Sotto Voce will be giving a full recital on the University of Maryland's "Take 5 at 5" concert series. The event will take place in the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center on Tues, Jan. 29th, at 5:30 in the Gildenhorn Recital Hall. We will be performing works from our newly released Summit Record's CD, "Consequences."

Hope to see you all at any of these events. Please come up and introduce yourself!

Sincerely,
Mike Forbes

Follow Ups: