tuba testing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by erik van wensen on January 12, 2002 at 15:13:49:

I went out to buy a tuba yesterday
Wanted to buy Bb, but willing to test as much as I could

My first surprise was an old model 2341 detacheable bell
This instrument played really easy, and was well in tune, great sound, very nice
Much too expensive though, to buy it in my country

Then i tried a cerveny 686, which wasnŽt bad, but not really good either.
It was cheap though. If youŽre on a budget, it is an o.k. horn

Next try was the trad. miraphone 186, which i did not like much, because of the resistance

After that the 191 pro version, which I really liked very much. It really talks to you, but you do have to put some effort in it

The B&S 3103 I tried, was a close one to the miraphone. Slightly lighter sound, but much much easier to play. a real surprise to me, because it is not an expensive horn to buy here as we are close to germany in the netherlands

Outside my budget I did try a Hirsbrunner Bb 492 i think was the number, which had lots of power, and sounded impressive, as did the willson compensated short Bb brassband model,
that sounded even more impressive, and the B&H 993 front action, that also had a great sound and was easy to play...

I ended up concluding the best value for me is the Miraphone 170091A11000 which you call
191A pro in the states. I was allowed to take it home for a real tryout in a few of my bands. It is a bit akward to hold though... maybe iŽll find the right positioning later, or just use the stand....

Follow Ups: