Re: Antique?!?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on January 13, 2002 at 16:09:49:

In Reply to: Antique?!? posted by Jimbo on January 12, 2002 at 21:31:53:

Jimbo,
Good question! Is an instrument an antique because of it's age only, or should the configuration be taken into account, ie., helicon, double-bell euphonium, raincatcher sousaphone? Of course, this may be getting more at whether the instrument is considered to be obsolete in design. In instrument repair, I have even heard the term "obsolete" used as a term for a make or model of instrument that is no longer in production, ie., replacement parts are no longer being made and are not readily available. However, I think there are many tubists out there that would not consider their Yorks, and vintage Conns, Kings, Olds, Martins, etc. to be obsolete, as they are wonderful instruments that they use every day.
I would venture to suggest this. I have found that many old tubas are still great, every-day-usable instruments, back to about 1920, when the A=440 standard was adopted internationally. There are some good or great instruments built before that, but many of them have real pitch problems if one attempts to play them in a modern ensemble. Should we consider 1920 as our cut-off point for obsolete, or antique, or classic tubas? Let's hear the opinions of you guys and gals out there!
-Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: