Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: bass clef parts in Bb and Eb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on January 13, 2002 at 19:40:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: bass clef parts in Bb and Eb posted by Mike on January 13, 2002 at 13:24:03:

"Have you ever had the opportunity to hear that(CC Tuba on E-flat part)? And if so, how did it sound?"

Of too much, soundwise! Somewhat comparable to having a doublebass playing the cello part in its upper range. At least the smooth transition and blend of sound mentioned in my previous posting did not occur.

As for the use of F tubas on the Eb part, I would find the key a lesser problem than the sound of some F tubas.

The quite soloistical way some German F tuba models are played, exactly because they are chosen for projection, is not optimal for brass bands, at least in my ears.

Generally the Eb basses should not cut out a remarkable line of sound of their own. They should provide the blending medium between the euphs and the BBb basses. And especially, they should not take part in a shooting game with the bassbone.

My preferred Eb is the Besson Sovereign 981. It is rich, dark, and full. And exactly that desirable hair lighter in sound than most CC basses.

Klaus

Follow Ups: