Re: Thoughts on switching horns good/bad

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on January 13, 2002 at 21:47:27:

In Reply to: Thoughts on switching horns good/bad posted by Doug on January 13, 2002 at 21:06:57:

First, anybody would be looney for taking the tuba seriously, so don't even bother asking that question. We're all looney - that's why were here.

Second, I don't think that you should look at it as, "switching horns", as much as you should just think of it as expanding your musical horizons. There's a guy who plays in a German music combo based in the San Jose area, who plays EVERYTHING (various brass; various reeds; keyboards; guitar; you name it)- and well at that. He's very versatile, and I greatly admire his abilities to do that. He's not egotistical about it all. Instead, he just sees at as being, "what he has to do", to make a living as a musician.

Third, if it doesn't work out, or don't like the CC tuba, you can always go back to BBb and stay there.

Fourth, the sort of *plateau* you're talking about in regards to your BBb tuba playing - well, you'd probably hit that very same point on the CC tuba sometime anyway. My only point here is, don't use switching horns as a means to fix a bigger problem that may just come back on you.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: