Re: Professional Musicianship

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alan Herold on January 14, 2002 at 12:02:33:

In Reply to: Professional Musicianship posted by Peter J. Felice on January 13, 2002 at 22:51:51:

Randy Moss of the Minnesota Vikings is a professional football player.

Randy Moss of the Minnesota Vikings does not play professionally all the time.

I think a lot of us take some time during rehearsals to joke around or to relax a little bit. I doubt that the majority of people out there are completely intense every minute of rehearsal and performance.

As for myself, I am a professional musician. I get paid to play. I make a good living to play the aforementioned rejected instrument. (I'm not offended by that comment... I thought it was funny though.) I have fun while I play - both with the music and the musicians. I actually think the spontaneity and spirit adds to my playing. After all, I am conveying myself through my horn.

I do try to get the best quality performance I can every time I play. I owe that to my audience, the other musicians, and most importantly, to myself as well. If I let crap come out my horn once, there's no doubt I'll let it happen again. Standards had been set before the levity and real personality entered the equation.

Follow Ups: