Re: Re: Re: Re: Dent Eraser

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on January 16, 2002 at 02:00:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Dent Eraser posted by Jim Akins on January 15, 2002 at 17:36:46:

Certainly no offense meant to the inventor of a new product for the repair trade but if tools are sold to individuals, repair persons will have part of their livelihood taken away.

I would doubt seriously that few music stores will carry a product that will interfere with the production of income for them. Example 1: a person brings in a tuba to be repaired. The sales person sells a dent removal tool. The person leaves, does an ok job and when asked about the repair, says he got the dent removal tool at xyz music store. All the friend remembers is the quality of the repair and that xyz music store did it. Any guesses as to what happens next? The word gets out that xyz repair person doesn't do very good brass dent work. It may not be true but that's exactly what happens. Example 2: a person brings in the horn to be repaired. He/she buys the dent removal tool. The repair person has one less job to do. Consider it a $100 job, commission 50%, or $50 out of the repairmans pocket and then the next time, and the next. This also keeps the customer out of the music store, so the music store loses money on accessories, the other 50% of the repair charge, a new horn for the kids, or whatever.

Think this sounds far fetched? How do you think music stores and, in particular, repair men and women make their money? We want to keep the customer coming back over and over, not keep them out of our stores.

You ask me, a new improved dent removal tool belongs in the hands of a professional repair person and not in the hands of an amateur.

Just my opinion.

Follow Ups: