Re: Here's why brass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 16, 2002 at 11:09:36:

In Reply to: Here's why brass posted by Dan Schultz on January 15, 2002 at 23:46:30:

Yes, copper alloys including brass have a modulus of elasticity that remains about the same despite strength treatments (such as annealing, heat-treating, work-hardening, etc.). But the same is true for iron alloys (e.g. steel) and aluminum alloys, plus most other metals that are solid at room temperature or thereabouts. Even lead is elastic below its yield strength, though its yield strength is so low that it doesn't take much stress to turn it plastic.

The point you mention depends on the sibilance of the metal providing an important component of the sound being produced. I'm sure this is true for trumpets and trombones, but I wonder how much it is true for tubas. When I rap a tuba, the sibilance produced is noisy, but most ringing seems to be well above 1000 Hz. This is outside the measureable spectrum of the tuba sound, according to my measurements. I'm sure it has an effect, but I'm also pretty sure the effect is extremely subtle.

Rick "thinking research into trumpets may not fully apply to tubas" Denney

Follow Ups: