Re: Does the AGR really work?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy Smith on January 16, 2002 at 11:50:57:

In Reply to: Does the AGR really work? posted by Dan Mordhorst on January 15, 2002 at 19:25:46:

Dan,

It depends on that particular horn as to if it's going to work or not. For example, I had one put on my Yamaha 822 CC and it really helped that horn out a lot. When Matt Walters made a Beuscher/Dillon cut CC for the Army Conference last year, he tried it with an AGR and without an AGR. It worked much better without it, and I believe that Scott Mendoker will agree to that. It all depends on what you're playing on and the amount of work you want to do as far as practicing goes.

As far as cost, I believe it is around $250 for the AGR itself, and the labor to put it in isn't expensive. However, it does render the original leadpipe useless if you decide to remove it at somepoint.

IMHO, I'd rather spend my time and money to become a better musician on a gimmick, but I can see how these help. If you want to know if it's right for your horn, talk to Matt Walters. He's very good at being truthful about things sometimes.

Sincerely,

Andy Smith
Bassdi(AT)aol.com
Tubist at Ithaca College

Follow Ups: