Re: Re: Re: ITEC 2002 Artist Euphonium Competition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by not me on January 17, 2002 at 09:52:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: ITEC 2002 Artist Euphonium Competition posted by js on January 17, 2002 at 09:34:24:

Well, your post is too clever by half because I don't really understand your criticism of what I said. I stand by my post - having been around and having participated in music competitions all of my life, my opinion is that something is rotten in these ITEC competitions, and until it gets better, I will stay away. No sour grapes here.

But in light of your comments, do consider the following - the participants in the competitions have to first submit a tape. Assuming the ITEC judges actually listen to the tapes, no one who is "unqualified" should ever even get to the live rounds. So I find it particularly galling that the judges in the Artist Tuba competition last year could not find anybody worthy of winning in the live round.

My suspicion is that the ITEC competition judging is extremely lax when it comes to the judging in the taped rounds. More cynically put, ITEC uses the competitions to attract more warm bodies to the conference, allowing "unqualified" competitors into the competitions to prop up the numbers.

Follow Ups: